How to Take Care of your Finline fabric sofa!
One of the main decisions in choosing a sofa is the choice of sofa covering. Both leather and fabric both have their benefits for the winter months, for fabric lovers; fabric’s feel more cozy, versatility and has more of customisation to it.
You’ve chosen your fabric and now you have your perfect Finline sofa in your home, learning how to take care of it is going to be one of the next most important thing you are going to do. You may not realise that your sofa is dirty; but kids, pets and the odd wine spillage can leave your sofa a bit grubby looking.
Follow our advice on how to take care of your fabric sofa and you’ll have a fresh looking sofa for longer.
Vacuum your sofa
Job number one; get the hoover out. Remove all dirt and dust from the sofa and cushions, then use the attachment made for sofas using low suction to really get into all the nooks and crannies without damaging the pile.
Doing this weekly can more than double the life span of your cushions. By turning them and rotating which position they are in on the sofa, you make sure that they wear evenly. The foam and fibre is allowed to recover ensuring the sofa or chair will look better over time and make it more durable and comfortable.
Clean spills immediately, as they are harder to remove when they are left unattended. Grab a baby wipe, or white cloth and simply blot as much of the spillage as possible. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing, also stay away from any coloured towels or sponges, as the dye may alter the colour of your sofa. Dried-in marks will need more attention. Read carefully read the “Care for your Furniture” label attached to your sofa.
Baby wipes are great for small stains. To attack larger areas, our fabric care kit is your best bet. For really stubborn marks, it’s time to call on the professionals. Most fabrics can be steam cleaned. We generally recommend a company called Aqua Dry but any carpet or steam cleaning company will be able to recommend best practice.
Tips on prolonging your sofas life
- Cushions should be plumped and turned over every week.
- Place fabric sofas away from direct sunlight, as it will cause the sofa to fade it, so keep curtains closed on bright, sunny days if you’re not in the house.
- Consider using arm caps or throws on head rests, especially if someone in the family uses hair gel.
- Avoid sitting on the arms or the edges of the cushions, this will cause distortion of the padding and fabric.
- All fabrics can be damaged, either by sharp edges toys, buckles, jewellery and even pets, if you do get yourself a snag on your sofa, cut them off with a scissors and Never pull them!
- As mentioned above try keep away from direct sunlight, but also keep away from other heat source such as radiators.
- Finally, have your sofa professionally cleaned at least once a year.
Need more convincing on buying a Finline Piece, Check out our Buyer’s Guide Here!
For all your queries, please ask any of our sales staff & interior décor specialists who are up to date with the latest trends in the market and to know what fashions are coming down the line. Please visit any of our three showrooms in Douglas, Cork; Long Mile Rd, Dublin or Factory Showrooms in Emo Co Laois.